Floodplain Management Ordinance


FEMA P-993 “Variances and the NFIP” was updated in 2014

The National Flood Insurance Program variances procedures are designed to help local governments protect their citizens and property from flood damage.  Allowing variances to the local floodplain management standards may significantly increase a property’s flood insurance rate and decreased community resilience.  Therefore, by implementing the NFIP variance procedures, a community will ensure variance are the minimum necessary and alternative actions are taken that protect and encourage safe development in the floodplain. The FEMA_P_993_FPM_Bulletin_Variance outlines the floodplain management variance criteria as set forth in Title 44 Code of Federal Regulations Part 60, Criteria for Land Management and Use, Subpart A – Requirements for Floodplain Management Regulations, Section 60.6 (44 CFR §60.6).


Code of Federal Regulations

The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government. It is divided into 50 titles that represent broad areas subject to Federal regulation. The 50 subject matter titles contain one or more individual volumes, which are updated once each calendar year, on a staggered basis.


Link to the 44 CFR 59.1 – Definitions.



To link to sections of the Title 44: Emergency Management and Assistance, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), follow the links below.

Subpart A—Requirements for Flood Plain Management Regulations

§60.1   Purpose of subpart.
§60.2   Minimum compliance with flood plain management criteria.
§60.3   Flood plain management criteria for flood-prone areas.
§60.4   Flood plain management criteria for mudslide (i.e., mudflow)-prone areas.
§60.5   Flood plain management criteria for flood-related erosion-prone areas.
§60.6   Variances and exceptions.
§60.7   Revisions of criteria for flood plain management regulations.
§60.8   Definitions.

Subpart B—Requirements for State Flood Plain Management Regulations

§60.11   Purpose of this subpart.
§60.12   Flood plain management criteria for State-owned properties in special hazard areas.
§60.13   Noncompliance.

Subpart C—Additional Considerations in Managing Flood-Prone, Mudslide (i.e., Mudflow)-Prone and Flood-Related Erosion-Prone Areas

§60.21   Purpose of this subpart.
§60.22   Planning considerations for flood-prone areas.
§60.23   Planning considerations for mudslide (i.e., mudflow)-prone areas.
§60.24   Planning considerations for flood-related erosion-prone areas.
§60.25   Designation, duties, and responsibilities of State Coordinating Agencies.
§60.26   Local coordination.